The hubs loves the dog. I mean, really loves her. He thinks she is just fabulous; he carries her around on his shoulder, takes her to the lake, and talks to her constantly. Some of these conversations are very funny.
The funniest things I have ever heard the hubs say to the dog:
- “Umm, I would take you for a walk, but you won’t put on your own leash. I can’t do everything in this relationship.”
- “Are you sitting pretty? Yeah, you’re sitting pretty.”
- (Holding the dog in my face and singing to the tune of the Winnie the Pooh theme song when I refused to get out of bed) “Gotta get up! Gotta get going! Gonna meet a friend of mine. She’s warm and she’s fluffy, we love her because she is MORLEY, it’s our dog, MORLEY! She loves you and me! Silly old, silly old, dog.”
- “Stand up and do the polka!”
- “You have to pull your weight in this family… go empty the dishwasher with your paws.”
- (Propping up the dog on her haunches on her favorite chair and holding up her paws to make her dance) “You make me… feel like I’m living a … TEEN-AGE-DREAM!”
- “Oh, hello! Aren’t you a cutie pie!”
- “Dog! Dog! DOG! Doggggg!! … Why aren’t you wearing shoes?!?”
Even though he loves our dog so much, the hubs is not interested in getting a second pup, much to my dismay. So when week before last he was very agreeable in his sleep, I used the opportunity to ask about a possible new pooch! I was snuggled in bed, doing some reading before falling asleep. The hubs mumbled a bit then said, “Uh-huh,” as if he was agreeing with someone.
Me: What, buddy?
Me: Umm, are you agreeing with someone?
Me: Are you going to agree with everything I say?
Me: May I get a miniature schnauzer?
Me (starting to giggle): May I name him “Mr. Snuffleton”?
Me (snorting and giggling): May I dress him in top hats, perhaps a monocle?
At this point I was really cracking up. The hubs started and rolled over. I think I might have woken him up, because after that he did not say anything else.
The awake hubs is very agreeable, but he vetoed the idea of bringing a new dog into the family. So, our current little dog should not worry: she will remain the hubs’ special little sweetheart.