March Madness is a big deal in our house. The hubs spends hours, reading stats and reports on possible upsets, carefully crafting the perfect bracket. I am equally concerned with my bracket, but I have a slightly different strategy. I take the following steps:
- My favorite letter is “K.” Therefore, teams who school starts with “K” win automatically. If two “K” teams play each other, the team with the higher rank wins.
- My little brother’s alma mater wins every game, unless they play a “K” team.
- Xavier wins their first game for sure, no matter what they are ranked. It starts with an “X.” That’s just a laugh-riot.
- For the first round, teams ranked 12 or 9 automatically win as upsets. (As long as they are not trumped by one of the earlier rules.)
- After all these steps are followed, I go by rank. The better ranked team wins. The exception is if a team ranked 3 plays a 4: teams ranked 4 win.
It is an extremely sophisticated system. And, it works. Last year, I won. The entire thing. I beat the hubs and our whole pool and everything. I am pretty sure the hubs’ head exploded when he realized my “K” teams were going all the way and I was going to beat him. It was awesome.
Basketball and March Madness is such a big deal to the hubs that he goes to some of the games. He came back from seeing some games in Columbus early this past week. I think that his time there was on his mind when he went to sleep, because he (completely asleep) woke me up to tell me about free tickets.
Hubs: Yeah, did you do that?
Me (pretty groggy, trying to determine if something is wrong): Do what?
Hubs: Get them for free?
Me (nothing wrong, just the usual sleep talking): No…no, it wasn’t me.
Hubs: Oh, who was it then?
Me: I don’t know… you’re the one who told me.
Hubs: What? You’re not making any sense. Do you even know what we’re talking about?
Me: Umm…no, not really. You’re the one who told me they were free.
Hubs: I’m talking about tickets. And some people got them for NOTHIN’. But since you don’t know, don’t worry about it.
Me: Oh, ok. Anything else?
Hubs: Never mind, you just don’t seem to know what we’re talking about.
Then he rolled back over and I could go back to sleep.
The hubs is so funny. I am glad he gets such joy from March Madness, but I would prefer that he only talk to me about it when we are BOTH awake.